Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sing Praises to His Name

Because I love music so much, one of my favorite parts of Sunday is singing hymns. They are simple, yet beautiful and often say everything that is in my heart. I'm grateful for the amazing composers who wrote the hymns and for Emma Smith who helped compile the first hymnbook. One of my favorite scriptures really illustrates how important hymns are...Doctrine and Covenants 25:12 "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads". Even the titles express some of my deepest thoughts and feelings. For example:
I Know That My Redeemer Lives
I Need Thee Every Hour
How Great Thou Art
Choose the Right
Count Your Blessings
Families Can Be Together Forever
I Stand All Amazed
And so many more! I honestly don't think I could pick a favorite hymn. They are all so wonderful. They are written in parts for a congregation to sing, but as a musician I LOVE hymn arrangements. They are always the most beautiful songs to play and I always feel so much peace from playing them. There are gorgeous melodies that truly allow me to worship my Heavenly Father the best way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment